- The grateful look back and remember God's goodness. (Deuteronomy 8:15 and 15:15; Psalm 77:11-12; Psalm 103:2)
- The grateful look ahead and trust God for the future. (Jeremiah 29:11)
- The grateful heart knows God's presence. (Psalm 23:4)
- The grateful heart trusts God's provisions.
- The grateful heart welcomes God's favor. (we are the object of God's affection!)
- The grateful pray with praise and worship. (Psalm 45:17, 86:12, 30:12, 35:18)
In knowing that the successes I may enounter are a direct result of God's provision in my life, I will find it easier to serve and give. Giving to others, from the outpouring of what God has given us is simple because we know these things do not really belong to us.
Focusing on God, with a grateful spirit allows freedom, and mercy, and joy to flow freely. Focusing on me only brings frustration and discontentment. Don't you see? It does us no good to beat the subject of selfishness to death. Instead, let us go about being a people of gratefulness. Let us pray with praise and worship, welcoming, trusting, knowing and believing God's work in our lives while we remember all that He has already done.
"Praise the Lord, my soul;
all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
2 Praise the Lord, my soul,
and forget not all his benefits—
3 who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,
4 who redeems your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion,
5 who satisfies your desires with good things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.